The Kennebunkport gallery will remain open most weekends (Saturday and Sunday, 11 AM to 5 PM). The online store remains open 24/7, and we will be available by telephone (207 967-2122) or through our Contact form.
Scroll right to see a sampling of our latest additions below, or click/tap here to see all of them.
- NecklacesMary Tafoya Mosaic Necklace Mary Tafoya creates innovative designs in mosaic which sets her apart from most other Santo Domingo pueblo artists. This necklace, on a chain of small heishi beads, includes shell cross sections, turquoise "nuggets", and a variety of other colorful materials and interesting shapes. 20 in. chain; medallion is 1 5/8. high x 1 1/2 wide x 1/4 in. thick$165.00
- NecklacesMary Tafoya Side Mosaic Necklace Mary Tafoya creates innovative designs in mosaic which sets her apart from most other Santo Domingo pueblo artists. This necklace features a vertical stack of materials on the left side (facing), separated from two stacks of turquoise shapes by a white vertical rod. Atop the medallion sits a swirl of shell in cross section. 19 in. chain; medallion is 1 3/4. high x 1 5/8 wide x 1/4 in. thick$165.00
- NecklacesMary Tafoya necklace: turquoise - spiny oyster shell - copper Mary Tafoya creates innovative designs in mosaic which sets her apart from most other Santo Domingo pueblo artists. The centerpiece consists of a composite material of turquoise and spiny oyster shell infused with a copper color that creates a stunning look, particularly when used in a Mary Tafoya necklace. It is topped by a swirl cross-section of shell and framed with multiple colorful materials around the edges. 20 1/2 in. chain; medallion is 2 1/4 in. high x 1 5/8 wide x 1/4 in. thick$185.00
- NecklacesMary Tafoya Swirl Flower Necklace Mary Tafoya creates innovative designs in mosaic which sets her apart from most other Santo Domingo pueblo artists. This flower is framed by swirly cross-sections of shell, for a stunning effect. 19 in.. chain; medallion is 1 1/2 in. high x 1 1/4 wide x 1/4 in. thick$165.00
- NecklacesMary Tafoya necklace: turquoise - spiny oyster shell Mary Tafoya creates innovative designs in mosaic which sets her apart from most other Santo Domingo pueblo artists. The medallion, framed by swirly cross-sections of shell, has a centerpiece of a material that combines spiny oyster shell and turquoise. It's a composite material that creates a stunning look, particularly when used in a Mary Tafoya necklace. 20 1/2 in.. chain; medallion is 2 3/8 in. high x 1 3/4 wide x 1/4 in. thick$185.00
- NecklacesMary Tafoya Multi-material necklace with graduated beads Mary Tafoya creates innovative designs in mosaic which sets her apart from most other Santo Domingo pueblo artists. The square medallion is topped with a swirly cross section of a shell, contains turquoise, shell, pipestone and jet, and is backed with serpentine. The graduated beads of the necklace include a multitude of color and materials as well. 17 1/2 in.. chain; medallion is 2 3/4 in. high x 1 3/4 wide x 1/4 in. thick$385.00
- BasketsMiniature Ash Pack Basket A charming miniature basket made by a Wabanaki basket maker from northern Maine. Reminiscent of the large pack baskets made by the Maine tribes for many years. Nice use of dark ash (heart wood) contrasting with light ash (sap wood) in the basket's design 4 3/4 in. high, including handle; 3 3/4 in. at its widest; 2 3/4 in. deep.$110.00
- BasketsClaire Neptune Dark Red Fancy Curl Basket Maliseet weaver Claire Neptune created a basket with dark red fancy curls: these are not simple curls, but complex ones wit multiple layers. Nicely woven with braided sweetgrass. 6 1/2 in., including finial x 4 1/4 in. diameter$250.00
- BasketsDolly Barnes Maroon Basket Vase Dolly Barnes is an apprentice of her mother, renowned basket maker Molly Neptune Parker. This basket is dyed a beautiful maroon color. It includes braided sweetgrass and a chain weave of natural colored ash. Weaving baskets around vases has been a long-standing tradition among Wabanaki basket makers. It allows the basket to be filled with flowers, though dried flowers are preferred, so spilling water does not stain the ash. 11 in. high; 6 1/2 in. diameter at its widest; mouth of jar is 5 in. in diameter$450.00
- RingsRead about the artists here. Decontie & Brown Inlaid Cast Silver Corn Ring Cast from silver (93.5%), this ring is inlaid with starry lapis lazuli, turquoise, and reddish jasper from Maine. Corn, a widespread staple of Native American diets, adorns the sides. Ring is size 11; band tapers from 5/16 in. to 3/16 in., for comfort. Platform with stones is 1/2 in. square.$525.00
- EarringsRead about the artists here. Decontie & Brown Multi-colored Earrings Handcrafted from Swarovski crystals, hematite, and glass beads, these earrings sparkle in the light, and will add color to your outfit and your day, especially if paired with the matching bracelet (sold separately). 2 1/4 in. high. Stainless steel wire and findings.$125.00
- BraceletsRead about the artists here. Decontie & Brown Multi-colored Bracelet Handcrafted from Swarovski crystals, hematite, and glass beads, this bracelet sparkles in the light, and will add color to your outfit and your day. Bracelet will fit a 6 1/2 in. wrist or smaller. It is approximately 3/4 in. wide. Stainless steel wire and findings. *** Matching earrings are sold separately. ***$325.00
- BasketsRichard Silliboy Pack Basket Richard Silliboy made baskets with his family in his youth. Leaving basket-making behind in his teens, he came back many years later to start afresh. This pack basket is woven from brown ash with nylon straps and copper rivets. It is heavy duty, built for rugged use. The basket includes heart wood (dark) and sap wood (light) in a very pleasing pattern across all sides. Nylon straps are adjustable The basket is similar to pack baskets that were made for commercial outlets and catalogs through the 1950s and even 1960s until cloth and nylon frame baskets came into vogue. 21 1/2 in. high x 17 in. wide x 12 in. deep (at its deepest point)$550.00
- Select an amount from the drop-down box. You will receive a gift certificate number that can be redeemed online, by telephone, or in the Kennebunkport gallery. Maine residents: sales tax will be added to your certificate. We are working on having this corrected. If you wish to purchase a gift certificate without sales tax, please call 207 967-222. Anyone who is interested in purchasing a gift certificate in any amount can call 207 967-2122.$25.00–$1,000.00
- Masks, Sculpture, PremiumJacob Simenoff Aleut Bentwood Hat This bentwood mask is painted red ochre color and black with traditional images of hunters and seals. It is adorned with what we believe to be walrus or sea lion whiskers. The hat presents a bird profile, and thus has painted birds eyes as well. Braided sinew strap, walrus tusk carvings of a bird and other shapes, and hematite plus other beads complete this package. Bentwood hats were used traditionally by Aleut, or Unangax people on their ocean hunting baidarka voyages. The hat would shade the hunter's eyes from the sun, and also hide the eyes from their sea mammal prey. There are few contemporary native makers of bentwood hats; the signature on this hat appears as Jacob Simenoff, 1997. See a video about bentwood hats here. Hat is 16 in. long x 8 in. wide x 9 in. to the top of the whiskers. Because of marine mammal content, this item can only be shipped to a U.S. address. [video width="640" height="480" mp4="https://homeandaway.gallery/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Jacob-Simenoff-Bentwood-Aleut-Hat-AM00012-7.mp4"][/video]$1,500.00
- BasketsSue Thompson Button Basket Sue Thompson, apprentice basket maker, creates a button basket, adorned with a flower, and rimmed with sweetgrass. Sue is one of the talented Pam Cunningham's sisters. 2 3/8 in. high, including the finial; 3 3/8 in. diameter at its widest point. Note the purple ribbon holds the information card and is not a part of the basket proper.$90.00
- BasketsSue Thompson Miniature Pine Cone Basket Sue Thompson, apprentice basket maker, creates a miniature orange pine cone basket, complete with scales. Rich brown color. Sue is one of the talented Pam Cunningham's sisters. 3 1/2. high, including the finial; 2. diameter at its widest point. Note the purple ribbon holds the information card and is not a part of the basket proper.$190.00
Home & Away Gallery carries Native American arts and jewelry, plus Inuit art from Canada and Eskimo art from Alaska. We work with living artists and artist cooperatives across the United States and Canada to bring you contemporary art and jewelry; some of this work looks very much like traditional work, while some has diverted from tradition to incorporate new materials, new design elements, or new techniques.
Work made by Native artists today continues to evolve from work done hundreds and even thousands of years ago. Today’s art represents the Natives of today; it is not a static representation of art that existed one or two hundred years ago.
Many of the artists we represent have been recognized locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. Some have won awards as prestigious as Best of Show at the Heard Museum Guild Indian Market and Fair as well as the Santa Fe Indian Market. We are honored to represent artists of this caliber, no matter the stage of career they are in. We are indebted to them for their skills as artists as well as for their willingness to evolve their art and elevate it to levels unseen in the past.