Applique wall hangings from the Inuit peoples of Canada
- Inuit Wallhangings$650.00
Oqqi Inutik Nanuq Waits Wallhanging
This is a very attractive wallhanging made with interesting materials. Most Inuit wallhangings are made with wool fabric pieces sewn (appliqued) onto a wool fabric background. This wallhanging is quite the exception:
- The background cloth is a cotton or cotton-like woven fabric.
- The darkest blue section at the bottom is a velvet or velour
- The iceberg (white mound with blue shapes) is a shimmery polyester-type fabric
- The bear is a translucent polyester-type fabric
Altogether, this is a fascinating piece for any collection!
29 in. high x 25 in. wide c. 1980
- Inuit Wallhangings$320.00
Martha Jorah Wallhanging
A very interesting wallhanging from 1981 Baker Lake in lovely colors. The central shape appears as two Janus-style faces or as one visage facing front. On the sides are two other almost disembodied faces consisting of eyes, noses, and mouths. At the bottom, connected to the double face is a horned bust.
27 1/2 in. high x 27 in. wide
- Inuit Wallhangings$165.00
A miniature wallhanging of a beaded Amauti by Arviat’s Linda Kaviok.
Materials: caribou skin, glass beads, wool
6 3/4″ h x 5 3/4″ w
- Inuit Wallhangings$300.00
A charming wallhanging of a person hanging a skin to dry.
15″ h x 13″ w
- Inuit Wallhangings$500.00
A hard-to-find sealskin scene, pre-1970’s. Inlays of different colored skin form the owl, the nest, and the small mammal stealing eggs.
Note the worn/torn condition of the skin in spots.
31 1/2″ x 25 1/2″
- Inuit Wallhangings $590.00
- Inuit Wallhangings, Premium$2,600.00
Irene Avaalaaqiaq Wall Hanging
A beautiful wall hanging by Baker Lake artist Irene Avaalaaqiaq. Centerpiece is a transformation figure, surrounded by owls and sea goddesses. Spirit faces adorn the border.
Aavaalaqiaq is a renowned artist with a highly recognizable style. Here applique wall hangings use bright colors in wonderful combinations. The spirit heads around the perimeter are a signature design element of hers.
Note that the colors are not as bright in real life as they are in the photos. Please call 207 967-2122 to discuss, if you are interested in this piece.
57 1/2 in. high x 38 in. wide
- Inuit Wallhangings$775.00
29 3/4″ x 27 1/4″
has integrated sleeve to hold a hanging dowel